Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Where is the overweight guy in the workout videos?

For those that have been following along you will know that I recently started doing P90X, the infomercial that tends to play on the hour every hour after midnight, for the last few days. I will be honest and admit that the workout is a bit of a challenge, as it should be, but it is something that I'm starting to believe in without seeing true results after three days. I believe in it because I feel the results after the workout and as my fingers type I can feel it throughout my body. It isn't one of those tremendously painful, body falls apart pains, it is more like a I think I just added 30 years and I need a rocker pains.

Watching the videos had me thinking and as I went for my run this afternoon, which I cut short due to not wanting to overexert myself, I realized that you never see overweight people in so many workout videos, the one exception maybe the Biggest Loser workouts. Still the question is why is it that you never see a celebrity workout guru who actually was the fat kid and continued on as the overweight adult? Is it that we should trust them because they went through college or training and have paid enough to put themselves in that position? What about having the fat person turned thin by listening to what coaches have had to say and sticking with the training?

It just makes me wonder if the reason could be that many of those individuals fell back into their old patterns. If you look at a lot of the Biggest Loser contestants from the past, while they may not be as big as they were on the show, many of them still add on quite a bit of weight. I'm not saying that the Biggest Loser is terrible, because it does what most workout shows don't do and that is to provide hope, while also spending about 30 minutes of the 40 minutes of television they show with commercial products. I actually stopped watching the show because I couldn't afford to keep buying more Brita pitchers.

My point is that maybe having the slightly overweight guy on these shows might show people like me or someone else reading this that is having a hard time realize they aren't the only ones. No matter who you are or what fitness level you may be at, there is someone like you struggling to improve. It isn't about where you start, but the journey you take to reach your destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment