Saturday, May 1, 2010

The soothing sounds of a persevering mind

I haven't had the chance to write lately and I find that bothersome, because writing has always been a source of comfort to me. It is one way in which we can keep track of our thoughts and see the misguided steps that sometimes get us to our final destination. There has been numerous times when I may go for a run and veer off the path and find myself in new territory, or where one slight misstep turns into a twisted ankle. That being said I know that for me my mind tends to wander when I run and it allows me to free my mind and think outside of the box. I could go into a psychological rant about how the box doesn't even exist, but I will stick to the story. I'm not one who can run with silence though, not sure if that opens my mind to more thought and it scares me or if to many sounds around me are distracting, but I find it important to run with music. It helps me to keep a good pace while soothing my over active mind to focus on the objective at hand. I tend to come up with my best ideas when I exercise and it kills me that I haven't been able to work out the last two days due to a debilitating stomach virus that has me laid up in bed. The thought of music though sparked an idea that I wanted to get some feedback on. If you had to choose 5 songs that you had to include in an exercise/running play list what would they be. I will actually put these songs into a playlist and talk about how they made me feel later on.

1 comment:

  1. I SO need an I pod!
    right now while I am walking I HAVE to have a song running through my head. For me it's not so much that I fear the silence, it's just that music has always kept me feeling focusedand driven. Because in Real life I tend to deal with most issues (Marriage, Kids, friendships) in more of a logical way, I find that music usually communicated sort of the inner stuff that I am working out (or it's just fabulous music that I love) I think though, that based on how we've always kind of been at odds (in a mostly friendly way) since middle school, I am interested to know what you'll think about my music interests... Take for example, my MIL. I love her (she once dated Pete Townsend! as in The Who!!! and didn't know who on earth he was!!) she loves Air Supply (which explains why she wouldn't know a band like The Who...) Air Supply makes me want to hang myself. soooo... Here goes:

    Top 5 songs I've been humming while I work out:

    "Solsbury Hill" Peter Gabriel
    "Every Little Kiss" Bruce Hornsby
    "Africa" Toto (cheezy, but I love it)
    "500 Miles" The Proclaimers
    "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" Tears for Fears

    (I guess I'm in an 80's rut these days...)

    ReplyDelete